Sunday, April 30, 2017

Better N Better

I actually found my way from Kilgore to the rehab hospital in Tyler (and home again) without one turnaround.  I arrived in time to see Duane in action. Here’s how you do things in rehab.

First, scoot forward and place both feet on the floor.  Those gauze pads covering his incisions are held in place by waterproof invisible tape.


Next position your walker and lever yourself into a standing position.


Walk yourself to the physical therapy center (accompanied by your pt).


Lever yourself into the chair.  Wait quietly while the pt seat belts you in , adjusts the pedals with blocks for your short legs, and turns on the timer for 20 minutes.  Pedal away.  Duane jokes that he feels like a little kid using blocks to drive a car.


Take a break, then walk to the hand peddling machine for an upper body workout.  Maneuver onto the seat, wait while the pt seat belts you in, swivels the seat and sets the timer for 10 minutes.  Wait a minute!  How’d that creepy guy get there?!!


Wait for the pt to release you, then walk yourself back to your room.

Zoom in on the back of his shirt.


Get settled in your chair, wait for your nurse to apply your ice water packs, turn on the tv for background noise, kiss your wife goodbye, take a nap.


I’m doing much better today also.  I’m not so nervous about driving to the hospital now that I know exactly how to get there and home again.  My ant stings are also better.  The swelling’s gone down quite a bit and the itching is down to a minimum.  The big fridge has been staying reasonably cool so I can store some staples in there until I can eat enough meals to reduce what’s in the little fridge.  The freezer is working now, so that I can preserve some leftovers in there for now also. 

Things are looking up and settling down.

Louise and Duane

1 comment:

Paul and Marsha Weaver OCT. 17, 2009 said...

Oh my you forgot one very important step. Wait for the nurse to apply the ice packs and eat lots of cookies...hehe

Duane looks really good.