Sunday, January 14, 2018

The Thing Is

After several years of antenna tv, Duane finally bought himself a satellite dish.  He has one of those portable ones called a Tailgater.  He bought one that has two ports to support two receivers.  The way it works is this.  He has access to three satellites.  All he has to do is select a show and the dish finds the appropriate  satellite.  The problem is that that the other tv watcher has to watch the same satellite.  If he changes to a different one, my tv loses signal.  I have to turn my receiver off and back on again, then wait several minutes for it to find the new satellite.  Sometimes I have to repeat this tedious and aggravating process more than once.  When the signal finally comes on again, I have to see what is on that I would care to watch, which is usually nothing because there are very few shows that Duane and I both like.  I find this dish very limiting.  We lived several years being content with antenna tv.  That all changed when we decided to stay in Texas for the winter.  There are vast areas here (I think a good 1/3 of the state) that has a very limited number of tv stations, and those will often just disappear. 

Why don’t we just not watch tvf?  For Duane it is a way of calming himself.  He has several favorite shows that he likes, but he has it on mainly for the background noise.  I myself find that I prefer doing two things at once, like following a tv show and working a pencil puzzle like Sudoku or crosswords.  If I try to just do one at a time, it’s kind of boring.  The only thing I do by itself is read a novel. 

Weird, huh?

Louise and Duane

No comments: