Wednesday, January 17, 2018

Rant

I have a thing about proper English, and listening to ads and newscasters on tv drives me nuts.  It seems that no one can use pronouns properly.  I hear a lot of me n him want this or him and I do that, that’s for my wife and I, and on and on.  I also hear a lot of “got”  as in what have we got and I have got to have this.  Lately the misuse of “get” is creeping into commercials such as the meaningless phrase “get knowing”.  I blame this bad language on news writers, ad writers  and  tv show  and movie script writers.  I even heard Sherlock Holmes on Elementary say that something was “for Watson and I”.  You’d think that a British genius could use his native language properly.  Other things that I find amazing are the overuse of the word “amazing”,  and I mean like how everyone like says starts sentences with like “I mean” for like um or you know, like you know?  I blame those two on movie stars and professional athletes that need a script to speak like adults.

Duane tells me to not let it bother me, but it does so much that one day I screwed up my nerve and told a minister in church that he misused his pronouns.  I figured, that since he spent years in school and was a shepherd of the flock, that he would humbly thank me.  He told me to get over it.  I won’t because I can’t.  To me, bad use of language is like fingernails on a blackboard.

Perhaps I should just turn off the tv and listen to music or books on cd while the cold weather lasts.

Tomorrow will be another cold one.  I wonder what else I will fine to bug me.

Louise and Duane

1 comment:

Paul and Marsha Weaver OCT. 17, 2009 said...

Oh I hate hearing improper language too! What about anchor men/women miss pronouncing Washington DC....WaRshinton DC. People there is no R in Washington. I just hate that!