Monday, July 10, 2017

Sunday- Monday

One last Denny’s breakfast with the family, then we headed home to finish getting the house ready to travel.

IMG_1890

When I started this puzzle on Thursday, I made a bet with myself that I would finish it before I left.  Since my packing was done, I decided to get it done.

IMG_1891

In spite of six missing pieces making this more complicated, I won my bet, but I lost my bet too!

IMG_1892

Since we are traveling to Ohio to be in time for my sister-in-law’s funeral, we decided to make the 1000 mile trip in 3-4 long days, depending how Duane held up.  Today he felt pretty good, so we traveled from Kilgore, TX to West Memphis, AR, 380 miles without incident.  It was too hot to boondock anywhere.  We found a Good Sam’s park just outside town.  Tom Sawyer’s RV Park sits right on the Mississippi River.  It consists of the office,

IMG_1917

a few laundry/shower facilities, three ponds, and nothing for kids to do.

IMG_1918

In my walking around, I found this tree platform and climbed up for a view.

IMG_1925

I saw a nice evening view of West Memphis,


IMG_1926

and a view of the entire park.  This view is very deceptive.  The 100 sites are built in three sections, three roads to a section.  The three sections and the river are spread out along the 4 sides of a 5 acre (at least) rectangular grassy area.

This is the southern section, with the western one by those trees in the background and the northern section near the right edge of the picture.   Since the northern and southern sections sit right along the Mississippi, they are about $20 more per night.

IMG_1927

What people do for fun here is to sit along the river and watch the barges.

When we first arrived and parked in the tree section, I stood on the picnic table to photograph this barge train going up the river.

IMG_1903

Later I saw this barge train going down river.  I counted 5 barges

IMG_1909

until the boat turned the corner.  Then I saw that they were 6 across for a total of 30.  I don’t know what they carried.

IMG_1912

We covered a lot of miles today.  We’ll see how we do tomorrow.

Louise and Duane

1 comment:

where's weaver said...

We have had plans twice to stop at that park but always arrived to early so drove by. It would be so much fun to watch those huge barges float by.