Saturday, July 29, 2017

CP Continued

Walking through this covered bridge, we jumped from 1836 to 1863.  In July of that year Confederate General John Morgan set out on a 1000 mile raid into Indiana and Ohio, taking hundreds of prisoners. 

IMG_2310

In the general store we listened as the proprietor voiced his concerns over the raiders. 

IMG_2313

As he was speaking we saw a boy ride up, dismount and run to the door.

IMG_2314

He announced that the raiders were coming!  He ran out and rode to warn the rest of the village. 

IMG_2316

We saw the raiders emerge from the bridge

IMG_2318

and General Morgan dismount.

IMG_2319

He swaggered into the store and stopped his men from stripping the shelves.  He warned us that we were under attack, the told his men to fire the warehouse.

IMG_2322

Back outside they rode into the village.  There was a loud KABOOM!! then darkness caused by smoke.  Inside the store was dark and filled with people all talking at once.  It was total chaos and fear!  I forgot when I was and reached around for Duane.  When I did, I saw the Union army ride across the bridge.  With tears of relief I said '”Thank God!  The Union has arrived!”  Duane said what?  and I was back in reality. 

IMG_2323

We walked outside to see the warehouse still smoking.  For me the experience was disorienting.  For a couple of minutes I was a villager in 1863, full of fear, then blessed relief.  I even felt as if I was wearing a hoop dress!  It took several minutes for me to reenter reality.  It was one of the best demonstrations I’ve ever experienced.

From the porch we saw the local militia being marshalled by the Union army.

IMG_2333

View of the burned building and the school house which is the temporary Quartermaster station, and the Union army tents.

IMG_2312

In the large house behind the tents we enjoyed another holographic display.  The mistress of the house and her daughter greeted us as villagers who volunteered to help tend the wounded—army and raiders, and wind bandages.  Abigail, the daughter, explained that we could scrape the flax from the cloth, then press it on wounds to suck out the poison. 

IMG_2340


IMG_2342


IMG_2344

There was much more to see and do here at the Conner Prairie complex.  We recommend it for everyone, but especially for families with children. 

Moving day tomorrow (Saturday).

Louise and Duane

1 comment:

where's weaver said...

I would have love this place. I can't believe how real that experience was for you, Louise. They did an excellent job of bringing history alive.