Tuesday, May 18, 2021

The Least Of My Worries

Walking along a country road in East Texas is a hazardous occupation.  I have been warned more than once to watch out for rattlesnakes, but have found that snakes are the last thing that I need to worry about.  First I need to be aware of speedy drivers who appear suddenly around hidden curves or on the tops of hills.  When they come along toward me I need to vacate the road in a hurry.  Before I step onto the side of the road I need to be aware of everything that's in there.  

I look for stinging or thorny plants, poison ivy, broken glass, and sharp bits of  plastic or aluminum. 


I rarely find snakes because they tend to avoid things that are too big to eat.  By far the things I fear most are fire ants.  Sometimes their hills are so well hidden that  I don't know they're around until I feel them swarming across my feet and biting me.

Most of those things are impossible to see in the few short seconds I have to step off the road.


Wishing I could play pickleball,

Louise and Duane

No comments: