Tuesday, October 23, 2018

Math

To make one quilt square, I use 4 square pieces, 4 triangular pieces, and eight diamond shaped pieces for a total of 16 pieces for each square.  I have to make 54 squares for a grand total of 864 pieces.  Each corner of each piece has to be precisely marked on each point where the seams come together so that I can sew each seam from from dot to dot with no overlap.  That precision allows all the star points to meet perfectly and all of the edges to be aligned.  That means I have to mark 60 points before I begin piecing a block together.  When I’m done with all 54 blocks, I will have marked 3,240 points. 

I was thinking about this as I marked pieces for the next few blocks.  As I picked up each stack, I noticed that some of the stacks didn’t have squares and triangles.  Because of these things, I didn’t get any blocks made today.  I’m ready for some heavy duty sewing tomorrow, though!

Duane was busy, too.  Each ornament he carves takes four steps.  First he roughs out the general shape.  Second, he carves out the shapes so that they are recognizable.  Third, he puts in the final tiny details.  Last, he puts on the paint and finish.  He takes all the ornaments through one step at a time.  Today he completed step two on ornament number 9. 

Plugging away.

Louise and Duane

No comments: