Friday, April 02, 2021

Old Custom, New Twist

 

We have no kids to appreciate colored eggs at Easter, but I enjoy them.  I color them "old school" with boiling water, food dye and vinegar, but I add three new steps.

To hard cook eggs, I boil one minute, then remove them from heat, cover and let sit for 3 minutes.  (I got this method from an egg carton a while ago.) 

While the eggs are cooking, I measure the dye and vinegar  in mugs.  When the eggs are done, I pour the hot water from the egg pan into the mugs.

While the cooked eggs are cooling in ice water, I color all of my raw eggs.  (We eat so few hard cooked eggs that I don't like to go to all of that trouble for a few eggs.)


It's not hard to keep the eggs separate,  I use a crayon to mark the raw eggs.  As an added precaution I give each egg the tried and true spin test.

I have used this method for years and have never had any ill effects from cooking and eating raw colored eggs.  I think it's fun opening the egg carton and find all those cheerful colors.  Sometimes I color eggs for Christmas, too!

Still having fun,

Louise and Duane



No comments: