Saturday, August 06, 2016

Pow Wow

Today was the first day of the Kalispel pow wow.  We headed on over the river and up LaClerc Rd. South, to the reservation,

 

IMG_8389

IMG_8509

hung a left at the tribal headquarters,

IMG_8499

and along the drive to the pow wow grounds.

IMG_8404

The grounds consists of circles in circles.  There is a circular paved outer drive, a paved inner drive, and four buildings—this large covered dance ground (newly surfaced with Astroturf,IMG_8408

across from this rectangular multipurpose building, and on the other sides two small snack bars (which were closed).

IMG_8409

Attendees came from several states (I heard Montana mentioned) and Canada.  They camped in the grassy circle between the two drives.  Some stayed in teepees,

IMG_8418

others in rvs,

IMG_8421

the majority in tents.  All entrances faced east.

IMG_8405

Two events were scheduled for today.  First was free dinner.  At 11:00 everyone lined (elders first, then dancers and drummers, then guests) up for a plate of pulled buffalo, a roll, choice of macaroni or potato salad, and a bottle of water. 

IMG_8413

The open-air dance floor was where everyone headed next.  Competitions were scheduled for singer/drummer groups and dancers.  The circles of chairs around the edge of the floor are for the drummer/singers.  I counted 28 groups.

IMG_8419

This group was closest to us.  They were mostly young.  Notice the guy checking his cell phone.

IMG_8443

Grand entry with flags from the US, Canada, and Washington.   

IMG_8448

As the emcee announced their names the drummers/singers performed in turn as each dance group (also announced) entered—first traditional men,

IMG_8450

IMG_8455

(loved this old guy with the cane)

IMG_8456

then contemporary men (all with jingle bells),

IMG_8458

women bedecked with tinkle cones,

IMG_8463

children accompanied their parents, with teen boys then teen girls following the women.

IMG_8464

This little one was bushed.

IMG_8466

The drums and singers were very loud, but the baby slept even through daddy’s group’s performance.

IMG_8477

Two hours later, everyone was in, the drummers were finished, and we were deaf. 

Our trips through Newport took us past this soda fountain/deli/grocery with a sign announcing home-made ice cream.  Now, anyone who knows me or has followed our blog will understand why I decided that we had to stop here.  I am very picky about ice cream.  I will turn down soft-serve and most brands.  I prefer locally-made hand-dipped, and will take a chocolate malt made from that whenever I can find it.  After 6 months of searching through 9 states and the province of Alberta, I had finally found the home of my next chocolate malt!

IMG_8514

I sat at this wonderful original counter, and ordered up.  I’m sorry, we just ran out of malt yesterday.  I think they heard my wail of disappointment 15 miles away at the pow wow!

IMG_8515

Will I ever find a really good chocolate malt?

I’ll keep looking and let you know.

Louise and Duane

No comments: