Thursday, May 07, 2020

Learning Curves


Duane and I have now joined the ranks of people who admit their hearing  isn't what it used to be.  Yesterday we were fitted with our new "ears".  They are small--just an inch long and very light.  The black piece fits behind the ear and the little piece fits into the ear like an ear plug.

When we're wearing them they're invisible unless someone is really close.

Today we synced them to our phones via bluetooth.  We can now talk totally hands-free.  We can answer the phone with the hearing aid and hear the callers inside our ears very clearly.  For me this is the best reason for wearing them!  

Hmmm.  Is Duane thinking,  watching a bug on the ceiling or talking on the phone?

Of course we have spent the day getting used to them.  Duane was amazed to learn that all those birds have been singing every day.  His tv volume level is now down to normal level, and I have to remind him that he's talking to loud.  When he couldn't hear he assume that no one else could either.
I have really enjoyed talking on the phone, and have stopped jumping whenever my text or email alerts sounded in my ears.  I have remembered to take them out and and unhook the batteries when I'm taking a shower or sleeping, but this morning I was up a while before I remembered to put them back in.  We are both getting used to hearing dozens of small sounds that we couldn't hear before.

All in all, a very positive experience!

Louise and Duane

No comments: