Sunday, July 20, 2014

Salinas Rodeo

I heard about the Salinas California Rodeo (here it is pronounced ro DE o) most of my life. When arrived here in Hollister, Ca. and fired up the tv, one of the first ads I saw was for the rodeo. For once our timing was just right, at least for the rodeo. We arrived here on a Monday, the day after the Hollister Motorcycle Rally.....DANG.... missed it by a day.
Saturday, Louise and I hopped (well, stepped)  on the motorcycle and headed for Salinas. We got there in time to get lunch and find our seats. We didn't take time to shop all the booths that were selling everything cowboy and more.  The Grand Entry was pretty impressive with lots of Armed Forces and county sheriffs recognized for their service. 



This rodeo started and ended with bull riding. There were 32 bull riders leave that left the chutes but only one made it to the whistle.

There were a lot of kids try their hand mutton bustin'.

Calf roping
bareback broncs
Team roping.
My son and I were involved with team roping when we lived in Ohio. It's always fun for me to watch the pros do what we use to do. The problem is realizing how good they are compared to how good we were...lol  Duane Jr. still ropes some in Texas where he now lives.


This was the first rodeo that I have ever been to that ran a second arena at the same time. There was something going on all the time. There was a motorcycle stunt show during one of the alternate events. There were 3 riders doing things that I would never, even in my younger days try.



Saddle Bronc
Bull Dogging
Barrel racing

The other acts were trick riding, rope spinning, the finals of a hackamore working cow horse class and of course the rodeo clown. We enjoyed our day at the rodeo. I was very glad that I was able to attend this famous show. We went to lot of rodeos over the years and this one ranks right up there with the National Finals in Vegas. The big difference is the Vegas show has to top 15 cowboys in world so there are a lot more rides made and cows roped then there were at this event. That said, the entertainment value was better at this show.
We will heading out of Hollister Monday, heading to son Matt's house for about 3 weeks. Louise needs a grankid fix. Well, maybe I do to.
Til next time
Duane and Louise

No comments: