Saturday, June 04, 2011

Not everything in this life is fun

Change of plans.....

Thursday night we stayed in the boondocking area at the Hopi Center. When we got up we went to breakfast at the Hopi Cultural Center restaurant. Walking back to the trailer I noticed a little lean in the trailer. Further inspection reveled a broken rear spring!! Of coarse there was no cell phone reception in the middle of the Hopi reservation. We eased down the road to a garage to see if they could help. He said I would have drive to Flagstaff to find a spring to replace the broken one. We unhooked the trailer drove the 60 miles to Winslow, AZ where we stopped to make phone calls trying to locate a replacement. I talked to the Heartland dealer in Flagstaff, no spring there. He gave me the number of his supplier in Holbrook, no replacement there. I called the dealer back and after he called the manufacture, he returned my call to tell me he could have one by Thursday. We found a nice little campground on our way back to the trailer where we would have phone and internet. The problem was it is 55 miles from where the trailer now sits. After a lot of discussion, we decided to try and make the 55 miles so we would have hookups and phone (and internet). I drove the 55 miles at 30 miles an hour with my flasher going. I was a nervous wreck by the time we pulled in to the campground but we made it with no further trouble. I got up this morning feeling a lot better and more comfortable about being broken down. This is a great life, that we love dearly, but it does have it's trials. You have to take the good with the bad I guess.

There are things to see in this are so we will make the most of our time sitting and waiting to see the sites around here. Winslow sits on old Route 66. We will drive downtown later today to check it out. The painted desert is near here, we may do some hiking there. I have been on the net checking out things to see nearby so we will keep busy.

Till next time

Duane and Louise

2 comments:

where's weaver said...

Gosh guys...We are so sorry for your "not such a good" time. We had a great time in Winslow. Be sure to visit the Winslow City Park. We ate at restaurant...Bubba's Big Pig Bar-Ba-Que...in Holbrook. Excellent.

Donna McNicol said...

Been there, done that...just with a broken shackle instead of spring. Not fun!!