Sunday, March 06, 2011

City of Rocks State Park

View from the overlook














We spent Friday on a little field trip to the City of Rocks State Park. This an area of volcanic activity 1000s of year ago. When the volcano erupted it sent tons of super heated ash in to the air. When it made contact with the earth it fused together into masses of rock. The weather has eroded the ash rock into all the sculpted rocks you see here. As we walked around the pillars and boulders, we seemed to be walking along streets and alleyways of a small city. The rocks had small eroded places that resembled windows and doors to complete the illusion. The thing that struck me about this is that you can drive around the entire area in about 15 minutes. All the area around it is flat grass lands, real odd. We went on a little hike to take pictures of the rock formations and got separated. Louise got lost and went the wrong way. I was back at the truck hollering for her, but with the wind and all the rocks to deflect my yelling, she never heard me. She ended up at the visitors center. She had left her phone in the truck so she had to use the phone at the center to call me and tell me where she was. Luckily the area was small enough that she did not stay lost long.
We are nearing the end of this workcamp assignment, 3 days left to work. Louise works all day tomorrow, next Sunday and Monday. I will work 4 hours next Sunday. Pretty cool huh, Louise has to work more than I do....lol. The Rockhound Roundup starts Thursday. It is a gem and mineral show that is put on by the club that we belong to. I will go to the fairgrounds tomorrow to help set things up for the show. During the show we will help lead two field trips to the local area mines to hunt for geodes and agates. They pay for our gas and we can collect all the rocks we can carry away. The trouble is, we have to be pretty choosy because of the weight, we do live in a rv you know. I guess we are going to have to start throwing clothes out to make room for more rocks....LOL. I know we aren't going to cut down on the food, we need our strength you know.
We plan on heading to Arizona on Tuesday the 15th. We have an appointment to have the roof of the rv looked at in Surprise, AZ on the 16th. I am not sure what they will do. We posted earlier that we had it looked at in TX. They didn't want to do anything with than. I think it is getting looser. We will see what they say. It is not leaking, just don't look right to me. Wish us luck with that. Carving week at Congress, AZ starts on the 19th.
Till next time
Duane and Louise








2 comments:

The Bright's said...

Hi Duane and Louise, we got your message and will be calling you. This Rockhound Roundup sounds great... we will be there! It sounds like a great club you belong to. We will need to pick your brain on lots of things!
Whats really cool is that you are friends with Paul and Marsha. I was wondering, since they often comment on your blog. She let me know this morning that you are good friends!
We look forward to getting together.
~Sheryl

where's weaver said...

Wow did that time go fast! I do not find anything funny in Louise working more than you Duane! Louis you have permission to smack him up side the head.
Safe travels. Love the pictures.