Friday, February 13, 2009

Catching Up

Prairie Falcon
Great Egret
I entered 2 carvings in the fair at Indio, Ca. The giraffe I entered won first place in the novice animal catagory. The blacksmith won second place in the novice human catagory. Pretty good I think for the first show I have entered anything in. I have my other carvings on display there and sold a bottle stopper today.
Duane is too modest. He thinks anyone can follow instructions in a book and carve. HAH! When I'm quilting I can't even cut a straight line without lining up the grids on the ruler and the cutting mat. I say his carvings are great and deserve the ribbons he won.
Things are very quiet here in the desert now, although we are seeing signs of spring wildflowers popping up here and there. The flowers are very small and close to the ground, but they are there. The weather isn't cooperating, though. It's been very nice and relatively warm, but the last few days have been chilly. I hope we get to see masses of wildflowers before we leave at the end of March. The highlight of our days is walking the mile to the nearest oasis to see the great horned owl, although he's been hiding out against the chill lately. The two birds pictured above we saw at that oasis, so it's worth the trip.
Basta por hoy (enough for now in case you forgot your Spanish)
Louise and Duane

No comments: