Wednesday, June 06, 2007

Valdez boat tour


















We went on the Prince William Sound boat tour today. It was a 7 hour trip. Got to see whales, sea otters, sea lions, dall porpoise and eagles. The 5th pic is the porpoise swimming right along side of the boat. I took about 15 pics to get this one. Every time I would snap the shutter they would dive or take off. I had a heck of a time timing the shutter on these guys, or girls, whatever they were. The eagle pic is the 11th one. I need a more powerful lens....lol Any one want to lend me some money? This is as close as I could get with what I have. There were a lot of otters in little groups. There were a lot of sea lions in one BIG group. I don't know how many were in this pod, but it was a bunch. The whales were my favorite. We saw several different pods. The third pic is a mother and her calf. Do you see both of them? How about my timing on the breaching whale, my favorite pic of the day. The glacier was the Columbia Glacier. The boat captian weaved through all that ice to get us as close as he could. The mian wall of the glacier was way off in the distance. There was ice cubes everywhere. The pics don't do justice to the blue in some of them. The big tanker was in port taking on oil from the pipe line. I had heard that most of the oil is sent overseas for refining. The guide said that all of the oil is refined in the U.S. He said that when the pipe line was put in, that was one of the stipulations. The tour was a little pricing but well worth it.
Till next time
Duane and Louise

1 comment:

Times and Travels by Charlie said...

WOW...We love it...

You know we had two whales in Sacramento...for a while... Actually,the picture of the 2 whales...looks like alot of the pictures that we saw of the two that...

Those Ice pics are marvelous...

Have a great day guys...