Monday, February 13, 2012

Biking, pickleball and workcamping

We have been keeping ourselves busy here in Arizona. Last weekend was "RV Boot Camp" here at North Ranch. There were 40 some rvers here learning all about the lifestyle. When an event like that happens, our hours change to accomodate the needs of the event. We worked the same 20 hours a week but they were spread out a lot more. I worked 5 short days in row making sure the restrooms were clean and supplied. I had to trim a tree back so a large rv could fit into one of the few spots we had left. There are 111 sites here and all but 3 were filled. Now that boot camp is past, things have returned to normal for now. We will work Monday and Tuesday, then have 5 days off to play. That's the work part.


On my days off, I go to the pickleball court at 8 in the morning to play with the intermediate players. I seem to be the last player choosen...lol... but I have a good time other than getting beat almost every game. Louise and I go back at 4 in the afternoon to play with the beginners group, hey, I shine in that group....lol, makes me feel better about all the losing I do in the mornings. We really enjoy the game and I have even lost a little weight in the process.


Now for the biking part. I ride the motorcycle almost every day, if only to the store. Yesterday we joined the Harley Owners Group, "H.O. G." for a group ride. Louise and I rode the bike to Surprise, AZ, about 50 miles, met with group, then rode back past our campground to a dinner about 10 miles north of the park. It was a short ride home after lunch.

Louise in blue coat next to our bike in middle of pic

There were 15 bikes on this ride. We met at Starbucks in Surprise. The ride leaders held a meeting telling us the route we were going to take and the hand signals to be used on the ride. After the meeting, it was "kickstands up".


Louise took these pics going down the road.


In formation

The ride lasted a little over an hour. We arrived at the diner and it was "kickstands down", the end of the ride. Most of the rides end at the destination. Some of them are round trip rides but this one was one way. After lunch everybody went their seperate ways. We headed back to the rv, about 9 miles down the road. This was the second group ride I have gone on, Louise's first. I am not sure how many of these we will do as I would rather travel at my own speed. It is fun to visit with the other bikers but I find the ride a little stressful. You have to stay in a staggered formation and always be aware of the rider in front and the one behind. I like to use the whole lane to set up for the curves; you can't do that in formation. That said, we had a good time and a good visit with the others.



Today is a work day, so I better get going.

Till next time

Duane and Louise













3 comments:

Paul and Marsha Weaver OCT. 17, 2009 said...

Keep those pickle ball courts warm until we get there. Paul enjoys the game. I only played twice last year...zero so far this year. I WANT TO PLAY!!!
Great pictures from the bike. Good job Louie.

Mac said...

Love the sunset photo.

Are you guys going to still be in North Ranch the first part of May?

We are planning a 2 week trip to visit the SKP Parks & Co-Ops in AZ for a possible base (winter or otherwise) to have.

The Bright's said...

Glad to see Louise joined you for a ride! You sure are enjoying this motorcycle riding, arent you? We are really missing having our bikes with us. After this trip, we will probably never be without at least one of the bikes.