Friday, January 14, 2011

Deming, New Mexico

These are stones that we found in the area and I took them to the club shop to shape and polish. It's a slow process, so I don't have many done yet. When we get some ready, we will wire wrap them into jewelery pieces to sell and some give as gifts. Get ready kids...lol


We have completed our second week of work here at the Escapees Dream Catcher RV Park in Deming, New Mexico. Sunday we start our new hours. Both of us work 8 hours on Sunday, then Louise works 4 hours on Monday. That's our 20 hours for the week. The rest of the week is ours to do as we please. We have been doing a lot of rock hounding in the area. I have been going to the Gem and Mineral Club to use their work shop to shape and polish the stones we are finding . The country is pretty rugged that we have been hunting.

View from the hill top

See the truck?




There are a lot of mines around here. We are not sure what they were mining. The next time I get to the rock club I'm going to ask. The second pic is looking down the mine shaft. I throw a stone down the shaft and it took several seconds to hit bottom. You have to careful where you walk out here.


Looking down the shaft


Lot's of cattle out here. I talked to a cowboy repairing the fences here. He said they ran 2200 head of cattle. He told me it takes about 50 acres per head to graze them. They had leases all over the area plus, the land that they owned. We were rock hunting on land that they owned, we thought we were on BLM land....oops. He told me were welcome to hunt their land as long we closed the gates behind us. He was really nice to talk to. We got to talking about team roping and ranch rodeo, talked for quite a while.


When we are not out hunting, Louise has been working on a quilt. This one is for son Matt in California. She wants to get it done so we can drop it off when we go there after we are done working here. I have been doing some carving and walking stick making. I have been using yucca stalks to make the sticks out of. They are very light weight, but strong. They don't carve very well, so I have been wood burning and painting them. I have several done except for the tip, which is on order, but can't post a picture till the people I have made them for gets them, pics to come later.
Till next time
Duane and Louise





1 comment:

where's weaver said...

Been out of commission a few days. Flew to Mission and trying to catch up with everything. First chance I have to read the blog. I love the rocks!! They are beautiful. Your new hours sound like a perfect work week!!! Glad you two are doing so well and enjoying the area. Have a great time. Miss you!