Monday, April 15, 2019

Routine

For me the hardest thing about recovering from any physical trauma, whether its illness, injury, or surgery, is feeling much better.  At the onset, when I’m feeling lousy, it’s easy for me to relax, sleep, rest, and do nothing.  Once the initial healing has taken place and my mind wakes up and says my body feels fine, it becomes increasingly difficult to make myself walk at a slower pace, spend as much time off my feet as I do on them, and give in to the urge to nap.  As I get to the point where the pain/discomfort isn’t around to remind my that I’m not yet 100% healthy, I have the worst time trying not to worry about laying around gaining weight. 

Today, my 11th after my surgery, I am at that intermediate point where I feel fine moving around.  That itchy feeling of healing stitches no longer bothers me, my mind is clear and I have more energy.  Fortunately, I still get fatigued and don’t feel at all guilty about settling in for a nice nap.  That said, I’m thinking about adding a third lap to my daily walks around the rv park!  Fortunately, I know myself well, and have planned for this time.  I have several project lined up that will keep my active mind busy while I sit. 

Creeping closer to my release.

Louise and Duane

No comments: