Tuesday, March 12, 2019

Kera What?


Think blondes have more fun?  As a bona fide blue-eyed, fair-skinned blonde, I can say only if they stay out of the sun.  My yearly visits to the dermatologist started because I didn’t pay attention to this advice when I was younger. 
In people like me years of uv rays cause  keratoses or skin growths (more often than in other people).  Seborrheic keratoses are small rough bumps on the skin that grow slowly and thicken gradually.  They are often brown.  They look like other common skin growths including warts, moles, melanoma, and  actinic keratoses.  ak’s are dry scaly growths that are flatter and rougher than sk’s, but ak’s are considered precancerous because they may turn into a type of skin cancer called squamous cell carcinoma if they are left untreated.  A go-round with squamous cell carcinoma in 2016 led me to my yearly dermatologist exam today.  Fortunately in the past year I found only one ak , which the dr removed with cryotherapy (liquid nitrogen freeze).  

See?  No and that's the point.  It wasn't visible.  I could only feel it and noticed that it would come and go.  The reoccurrence is a sure sign of trouble brewing.

Light reflecting off the liquid nitrogen reveals the little bugger.

Because of keratoses I have to be vigilant and make notes of any changes I see over a year. I also have to be really careful when the sun is shining.   It's annoying, but saves a boatload of trouble later.

Dentist tomorrow--oh boy!

No comments: