Sunday, March 29, 2020

My Project

After years of making quilts for other people, I finally decided that I had plenty of time to make one for me.  I had originally cut these 60 degree diamond fabric pieces for my very first quilt in a pattern called tumbling blocks.  Having no previous experience, I had no clue how many I needed for a queen-sized quilt top.  I merrily cut many yards of fabric, but soon found I needed only a fraction of them.  Over the years I have thinking about how to use up the rest of this fabric until recently when I dug up the box of them from storage.    

After much experimentation, I finally decided on a simple diamond pattern.  Since the pieces are cut on the bias, they stretch out of shape when sewn by machine.  All pieces must be hand stitched.
First step is to mark each diamond with sewing lines 1/4 inch from the edge.

Step two is to pin two pieces together and stitch one edge, making sure they are pinned the right way.  Otherwise, take it apart and do it right the second time.
This requires a minimum of equipment--thread, small scissors, pins, a small needle, and a very cute pin cushion that one of my darling granddaughters made from a wine cork.

Step three is to sew four diamonds together for one patch.

Tedious?  Yes.  Time consuming?  Yes.  Do I have anything better to do?  Not really.  Complaining?  No.  In fact I'm very glad that my eyes can see and my hands work well and allow me to do this work.


Glad we didn't try to plan a trip this summer.

Louise and Duane

No comments: