Monday, July 02, 2018

It Took A While, But.....


When we're not touring, I have a tendency to watch PBS cooking shows.  One day I watched as they cook corned beef.  I learned that to corn beef meant to soak it in a brine made of water and large chunks of salt called corns, some brown sugar, some garlic cloves, bay leaves, and some dry spices.   I decided to give it try.  I didn't have a pot big enough for the beef brisket and two quarts of water, but since it didn't have to be turned , I figured a baking bag would do.  It worked nicely.  I put the whole shebang in the fridge for 9 days, since--oops-- I forgot to cook it yesterday. 

Following instructions, I took it out of the brine, and patted it dry.  It looked properly wrinkled and pinkish, per the recipe.

Into the oven in a dutch oven with some 2 quarts of clean water, and  more garlic, bay leaves, and pepper.  The recipe promised that within 3 hours at 275 d.  the brisket would be fork tender.  

After the first three hours I checked every hour.  After 61/2 hours, it was fork tender.
After the meat was cooked, I cooked carrots, potatoes, and cabbage in the juice.  It had a delicious distinctive flavor, but having only eaten deli corned beef, I wasn't quite sure exactly what it was supposed to taste like.  I plan to make some of the leftover meat into Reuben sandwiches, then I'll know if it was worth the wait.


No more rides for us here.  Our last scenic route to ride is afire.

Louise and Duane

No comments: