Thursday, April 09, 2020

Update


Last night I went bebopping out of the house in the dark to enjoy the rising full moon through the field glasses (binoculars).  My foot missed the middle of the step, and slipped over the edge.  I waited for it to hit the next step so that I could regain my balance (been there done that before) but instead found myself on the ground at the bottom saying ow, ow, ow because my back muscle hurt.  Duane came running out having figure out what happened by the shaking of the house.  Meanwhile I had taken stock and found nothing hurt except my muscle.  I got up on my own, went into the house and my back stopped hurting.  Nothing hurt.  Today nothing hurt, except a small streak on my back that was bruised, and only when Duane touched it.  This evening I feel a bit of muscle strain in my neck and shoulders and my left gluteous maximus.  Apparently I had the perfect fall.  I fell in a "v" with my butt bouncing off each of four steps which have some give and bounced me onto the next one.  The result was a couple of achy muscles but no whiplash, no spine compression, no head injury.  Give me a "10"!

Duane's eye doctor appointment didn't have stellar results, but it wasn't entirely bad either.  After about 15 years his dry macular degeneration, common in people over 50,  has resulted in some more vision loss.  In his case, the center of the retina deteriorates causing loss in the center of the field of vision.  He noticed in the last few months that he can't see some small details and some things disappear as they near his face--sometimes the pickleball would disappear as it got close.  He can still see well enough to drive, though.  He was advised to take a vitamin called AREDS 2, which is a souped up version of the normal AREDS.  AREDS means age related eye diseases.
He also has to continue to eat a healthy diet rich in fresh green leafy vegetables, more fish and less red meat, and low in fat and sugar.

So far so good!

Louise and Duane

No comments: