Thursday, January 25, 2018

Too Much For Me

We have one of those Tailgater satellite dishes with two ports for our two Walley receivers.  The way the dish works is this.  The main tv (which happens to be Duane's) has the full range of three satellites.  When he changes to a channel that is on a different satellite, his signal blips and voila! new satellite, new channel.  My tv is hooked to the secondary receiver.  This means that when Duane switched channels but not satellites, my tv should be ok, but when he switches satellites, I have to manually restart my receiver and wait while it finds and loads the new satellite.  I am then restricted to the channels provided by that satellite.  Most of the time this works ok for two reasons:  one is that most of the time I don't know what I'm missing on the other satellites, and the other is that a lot of time I am on antenna tv or have the tv off. 

Recently, however, odd things have been happening.  Sometimes when Duane switches to the same program I'm watching, my tv goes blank until he switches to his previous channel.  Sometimes when he switches to a different channel on the same satellite, my tv loses signal and may take several restarts and sometimes 30-40 minutes to find the signal again.
 
This evening the latter happened.  When Duane switched from the channel he was watching to the same channel I was watching, my signal went away.  I switched to antenna tv, perused my options, found nothing I wanted to watch and switched back to satellite.  The channel that came up was one that is not available on the satellite that he was watching!  Furthermore, my Dish remote wouldn't work.  I couldn't bring up the guide, I couldn't change channels; I could only use the volume control.  Duane couldn't get it to work either, nor the antenna remote.  Electronically minded as he is he finally picked up the dvd player  remote and turned it off!  Who knew?!  After giving me explicit instructions not to touch any remote, he restarted my Dish receiver twice and finally I was back on satellite. 

Did I mention that electronics and I don't play well together?

Louise and Duane

1 comment:

Paul and Marsha Weaver OCT. 17, 2009 said...

Oh my. We only have one TV and share what we watch. I think that set up would lead me to drink...more....hehehe